Sunday, August 27, 2006

Castle Peak

Drove up to inspect some work done on Jodi's cabin and then headed to the Castle Peak/Boreal exit off 80. Jodi wanted a steep climb and I wanted a relatively flat hike. Neither of us had (we thought) gone this way before, but I figured that if couldn't be that hard as it was such a popular trail.

We started off around 4 pm and the trail climbed steadily (but not horribly) upwards. We reached a trail marker to the "Hole in the Wall" trail which climbed steeply to the left and Jodi headed off that way. I continued along the forest service road.

This is a very pretty trail with great views of meadows and Castle Peak. About the last 1/2 mile is a pretty steep climb and once the forest service road peters out and the Pacific Crest Trail it's pretty damn steep as it gets to Castle Summit at 7880 feet.

Spectacular views all around. The experience was a little marred because a large (20+) group of people arrived at the same time so there was plenty of loud talk and shouting, especially by one guy who had WAY too much energy. I was time for me to head back anyway so I feasted my eyes on the scenery and headed back.

I'll have to drive all the way up the forest service road next time and get to the summit of Castle Peak. Another day.

No comments: