Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Kitty-Puss Put to Sleep

When I got home from camping the cat ate his last meal after meowing for it like he always does. Later in the evening though, he was listless, didn't ask for second dinner, and ignored the food I put out for him.

He spent some time outside, and slept in the bedrooms. When I got up, he was outside walking down the sidewalk (who knows why, perhaps pain) and came inside when I called him. He wasn't asking for food at all. I knew it was time.

Gave him all of the pain medication, about 3 doses. It took him a while, but he finally got pretty dopey. We took him to SAMG around 8 am and he was sent to his final resting place about a half hour later. I should have brought a little piece of his fuzzy blanket as a soft place for him to rest but didn't. I thought about sacrificing the towel, or may pajama pants, but that just wasn't right.

He's being cremated, and they'll call me when his ashes are ready to pick up. I'll be able to scatter him around the backyard, and on the chimney, and even some on the roof...all of his favorite places.

I'm very sad and still crying. I know it's stupid to be upset about a free cat, but he was very special to me and we had a special bond.

Cat, I will miss you and will love you always.

No comments: