Sunday, December 21, 2008

Snow! Hallelujah SNOW!


Friday night it snowed. Saturday I rented some x-c skis and headed up to the Peavine Ridge road in the Ice House area. It's nice and flat there and I figured I could practice x-c skiing without too much trouble. As a backup, I brought my snow shoes too.

We first stopped way, way down the road where it intersected with a snowed over dirt forest service road. I picked it because the snow plow had made a parking space off the road. Although the road trended uphill, it wasn't too steep and didn't look too long and I was going to practice anyway so I might as well practice on a hill. After struggling for about 15 minutes trying to get over the chunky snow berm, I re-thought my cunning hill plan and we drove back to the intersection where one could turn off to Union Valley Reservoir. It's flat, flat, flat there.

I geared up again and tentatively headed out across the virgin snow. It was about as physically hard as snow shoeing, although the few slipping sensations were scary. The snow was only about a foot deep, but these skis were really engineered for groomed trails not "back country" conditions. The springiness was nice. After plowing through some snow for a while, I took the skis to the road, which had a few inches of snow on it and could be classified as a groomed trail.

I got into the whole gliding motion thing and could see that these would be faster under some circumstances. Soon though, I was getting a bit tired.

Commando ran around like a loon. The snow was chest deep for him so while I was getting my ankles wet and making slow progress, he was bounding around and pushing through much more mass. He demonstrated the terrier interest in rodents and spent a lot of time with his ass in the air and his head shoved under the snow terrorizing some poor beasties.

We also played the "catch the snowball" game which both of us find pretty darn entertaining. He really makes some spectacular and athletic leaps and gets good water from chomping down on the snowballs.

We drove down to the reservoir and walked about 1/2 across the dam. The tracks are some tiny mouse-icle tracks. For some reason, several teeny rodents had crossed over the top of the dam in many directions and their tracks were all over.

The view of the mountains is of the Crystal Range and the reservoir. My pathetic cell phone doesn't do it justice, but maybe it will remind me of the majestic view.

No comments: