Saturday, February 13, 2010

Grass Lake Snowshoe at Luther Pass

Drove up 50 and saw what looked like a small airplane crash on the westbound side in Eldorado Hills. Don't see anything on the sacbee about it though (now that I'm home).

I was going to try to get to the top of Lover's Leap but decided not too after all. Instead, continued on the 89 south and then parked at the south most end of Grass Lake.

Grass Lake is a marshy area and in the winter is a big, flat snow filled bowl surrounded by mountains and trees. There were many others out enjoying the high temps and beautiful sun. Everyone I saw was cross-country skiing although I followed someone's fresh snowshoe tracks for most of my trip.

The snow was excellent! There was a firm base with just a bit of powder on top to make it interesting. Even trail blazing was easy and following someone else's tracks was even simpler.

Commando had a good time running around in the trees and jumping for snowballs. I've always meant to try Grass Lake and now I have.

No comments: