Monday, May 31, 2010

Late Spring Off Highway 50

Drove up to 42 mile road near Sciot's Camp and hiked along the road that eventually goes to Cody Meadow. It follows Strawberry Canyon up Strawberry creek. The road is barely passable with a modified 4WD although I wouldn't recommend it. There are still too many big snow berms and the road is wet.

I was fascinated by the land slip a bit of the way up. A huge section of the hill has slid down to the creek at sometime in the past. You can see the huge scoring, rumpled dirt, and downed trees scattered over the hill. It was a while ago though as the road was built through it and the vegetation is back. Although I wasn't really worried, I didn't linger in the vicinity.

Commando enjoyed himself but was still tired from our hike on Saturday. I can't wait for full summer so I can explore more of this area. The Eldorado National Forest is truly a magical place.

No comments: