Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Silver Lake to Granite Lake

As I was forced to take a furlough day in September, and couldn't take any day prior to today off I decided to take advantage of the lack of crowds by hiking to Granite Lake. Silver Lake has camping, two resorts with camping, and forest service cabins so it's usually crowded. I like to let Commando off leash but that means going to lonelier places so I don't bother anyone.

The trail head as described by the forest service is well marked. The sign says 1 mile as do the forest service directions, but I'm not so sure. After climbing a bit through a mixed granite high altitude pine forest there is a surprise trail junction. It says Granite Lake .5 miles ahead and the parking area 1 mile back. Even my math says that's 1.5 miles.

We reached the lake and I changed into shorts and waded around. The water was nice and cool. I did pick off something that looked like a leech though. Ick. We met some odd women with a Puli dog on a leash. They didn't know where Plasse's was and said they had hiked to Hidden Lake which was several miles along. Hmmm, I didn't think it was that far. Plus, didn't they look at a map?

Read a little, drank my drink, ate my sandwich. Commando waded, scared off the blue jays, and chased squirrels. It was nice and relaxing. Headed back and encountered no one so it was a perfect day.

No comments: