Sunday, November 12, 2023

Day 1 in Palm Springs

 The flight was full and the airport was insanely busy. Per the gossip in the half hour line for a rental car there's a giant nurse's convention in town with a few thousand attendees. They're apparently leaving late Tuesday or sometime Wednesday.

I was upgraded to a Dodge Charger. It's electric blue and has a sun roof. I feel a bit sporty driving it. Tomorrow I'm taking a long loop trip to the Salton Sea and the Anza Borrego Desert. There will also be some metal sculptures somewhere along the way. And maybe petroglyphs.

The Art Museum is closed Monday and Tuesday so once I checked into the hotel, more on that later, I went to view the exhibit. Nothing blew my socks off. That's not to say that there wasn't some air stirring around them.

Picasso is a genius, no surprise to anyone. And he can draw a bull. They have a few minor pencil drawings and a few ceramics so it's not extensive. My favorites were the bulls and an owl ceramic.

Honorable mentions go to a piece that played with movement. Square blocks against finely striped background. As you walked by the blocks seemed to pulse. Love kinetic art. Interesting stuff in the Mythopoetica exhibit - graffiti type urban art, interesting colors in paintings including one that looked like it was painted on velvet or using that Vanta black. It was not painted on velvet.

I'm sorry to say that I intend to copy some of the art in my pottery, particularly the Picasso owl and cactus in the Mythopoetica exhibit. During dinner I started looking at paleolithic and other art owls for ideas. Owls are surprisingly popular and have varied meanings (wise, foolish, portent of death).

No comments: