Monday, September 12, 2005

Laptop version of Wawona camping

Although the Treo is fun, the keyboard is a little small for a really long post.

Our sites were great, probably some of the best we've stayed at. The campground is just not as crowded and we had plenty of space, even for 11 people. The river was right there and we all spent time lying on the granite erratics in the morning to catch some sun. A duck demonstrated its whitewater skills by paddling up and down the current bobbing its head under rocks to eat whatever it is that ducks eat.

We toured Glacier Point first. Wow. Magnificent. Astounding. I've made many visits to Yosemite and according to my mother I've even been at GP, but I just don't remember it. I know I've tried to go, but past trips have been in winter and the road is closed.

I had thought about hiking the Illiouette Trail down to the Nevada Falls and down into the Valley with someone from the group picking us up. You can see the entire trail spread out before you.

We toured the Valley next doing the tourist thing and then it was off to the Sugar Pine railroad for a steak dinner, train ride, and campfire sing-a-long. It's not really my "thing" but it was good and people who do like that kind of "thing" seemed to enjoy it. We were also "robbed" by two gunman on some well trained horses. The white horse had the most adorable red bandana mask on too. The bay horse stuck his head into all of the train cars to make sure and catch all of the booty. I don't know if tipping was supposed to happen, but someone did tip the bay horse rider and he stuck the dollar bill under the headstall by the bay's ears. It was precious!

The next day we went up to the Mariposa Grove and took the tram ride. Those who know me know how much I love the sequoia tree! I abandoned the tram at the museum at the top and hiked the 6.5 miles back to Wawona. I only saw 2 people the whole way and 4 deer. It's a nice trail, 99% downhill, but not too steep. Most of the trail is wooded, the upper mile with redwood forest, then pine, then pine and chaparral. It was probably about 2 miles too far for me, but still, I loved it.

I'm leaving out the campfire conversations...because what happens at camp stays at camp!

We will continue with our meal planning...take LESS food...take MORE coffee (poor Kathleen the coffee queen-may her descendants people the earth-was forced to buy more coffee to satisfy the hordes)...and never, ever have any bylaws!

No comments: