Monday, December 05, 2005

Snowshoe at Donner Summit Redux-dux-dux

There's finally enough snow on the ground to snowshoe so I geared up and headed up 80.

I stopped at Cisco Grove again but the road was too bad for my little sedan. A higher clearance vehicle (and maybe one with snow tires) would have been fine.

I looked briefly at the Lola Montez trailhead, but I just wasn't up for a steep climb.

So I drove to Donner Summit and did my usual route from the sno-park to the entry to the Florence and Aloha lakes area. Castle Crags were fabulous with a dusting of white snow in the sun.

I didn't even really need the snowshoes for most of the trip because the trail was so packed. Still, I hate falling through a hole and the grippers kept me from slipping on some of the icy sections.

I also wore my new water proof overalls from Cabela's. They were great! I was toasty on the bottom for a change and it was nice to be dry at the end of the trip. I could have used an extra sweater on the trail (I had one in the car) but as long as I kept moving it wasn't too, too cold.

I'll be back though because this is a pretty hike.

No comments: