Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Day 3 of the Desert Adventure

We made reservations at the fabulous Furnace Creek Inn for brunch so spent most of the day mooching around the Valley taking in a variety of the roadside attractions. We gazed at the Borax works from the parking lot and drove through the aptly named Mustard Canyo (formed of yellow mud). We strolled to Natural Bridge, although not all the way to the end of the canyon. We drove through Artist's Palette (colored rocks) and got out once to stroll around. We toured Zabriskie Point.

The brunch was outstanding! The highlight of the meal was the smoked salmon, lightly seared ahi tuna sashimi, and mounds of delicious caviar with all the fixin's. They also had blueberries and blackberries. I'm sorry to say I gorged. Well, there was one mishap. I started eating the blackberries and noticed that one had smashed. I scooped it up with my spoon and added another whole blackberry. Oops, bad taste, that was caviar, not smashed blackberry! They also had petit fours, a rare treat. The service was impeccable, although, the waiter did chuff Petra for not finishing her profiterole.

We then drove all the way to Wildrose Peak and the Charcoal Kilns. The kilns are very interesting. It was late in the day so we didn't hike very far up the trail and stayed mainly on the level bits.

Our last stop was the best and I wish we'd had more time there. We hiked up Mosaic Canyon for a bit but just ran out of daylight. I will definitely do this hike again.

--
Sent from my Treo

No comments: