Sunday, April 08, 2007

Bassi Falls 2

Drove up again to tackle the falls. Last time, there was about 2 feet of very slushly snow. This time, all the snow is gone and most of the ground is dry. We drove all the way to the parking area, even over an ugly very rutted patch. The walk to the falls is short...about a half mile. There's a short uphill, then a level spot, then a gradual downhill to the base of the falls. It's mainly granite so the trail is indistinct, but you can't miss the falls themselves. They were magnificent! Even this early in the season there was a steady stream of visitors. I would imagine that once summer arrives the trail will be packed.

We scrambled up to the top of the falls (more granite) on a possible trail, a possible deer trail, some possible ledges, and then any sort of gap in the manzanita. It's not difficult, but you need good footing. There was a better sort of possible trail down that starts higher up and we took that down.

I was going to head back to the car, then remembered that I left a bag of Commando's poop to pick up later. Drat. On my way to pick it up, I slipped and fell, bashing my right knee on the granite. Ow. After a few tentative and cowardly steps in the direction of the car, I decided I was okay and went down to pick up the bag.

Great area for a hike!

No comments: