Sunday, September 02, 2007

Pilling the Dog

Commando had an ugly bout of diarrhea Friday night so we went to the vet on Saturday. I feel sorry for the techs who had to get a fecal sample from the paper towels, regular dish towel and washcloth in the double bag.

I'm going to bet a parasite, but we'll find out for sure on Tuesday.

In the meantime, I have to dose him with Flagyl twice a day. The vet tech recommended opening his mouth and shoving the pill deep in his throat and then holding his muzzle closed and pointed up and stroking his throat until he swallows. She says the pill is very bad tasting and the dog won't eat it again if he tastes it.

Last night was a bit of a circus and he spit the pill out once. Some slobber was also spread around liberally but I think the pill got downed. This morning was easier although I'm guessing as the days progress it will be harder to trick him into coming over for some affectionate petting.

No comments: