Sunday, September 23, 2007

Random walks at Carson Pass

Saturday I cleaned a bit and rearranged the living room. It rained part of the day here and was raining in the mountains.

Sunday was supposed to be overcast but dry, and was supposed to get drier as the day progressed.

I ignored the solidly gray, rainy-looking, ominous, dark, sky and decided to go hiking anyway. I meant to include my warm coat, but forgot it. The drive up 50 and over the Mormon Emigrant Trail to 88 was very nice, if you like rain and fog. On 88 at Silver Lake the sky began to clear, although it was still easily 80 per cent cloudy. I was determined to make it to Hope Valley to see if the aspens were golden yet.

Made it to Hope Valley and the aspens were still green, although, perhaps they are thinking about turning golden any minute now. There was fresh snow on the highest peaks, at least what I could see of the peaks with their rain cloud hats.

Drove off a forest service road in Hope Valley and poked along a stream for about 1/2 an hour. Commando didn't really consider this a great hike, but he did hop back into the car.

Just over Carson Pass I decided to take the service road to Schneider Camp. It soon turned into dirt and with about a mile to the camp I decided to finish by walking. Commando and I got out and were about 10 yards from the car when some guys on ATVs came down. I noticed that one had a rifle holder stowed away (and a hunting dog). I stopped him and asked if it was hunting season. He said yes. I said I'd better go back because I didn't have any orange on and neither did Commando. He said I'd be okay if I stayed on the road and if Commando was a "good dog" and didn't go in the woods. Well, Commando is a good dog, but he's going to go into the woods, plus, I'm not so sanguine about the safety of the road so we headed back to the car.

Near Caples Lake there is a turnoff for the Margaret Lake trailhead. I took that and Commando and I headed off for our third excursion. This is really a pleasant trail and I'll have to take it when it's earlier in the day and I'm properly outfitted. It heads down, then is flat across a very nice meadow with a stream (almost a river) and then heads down again. I stopped at the second down place because it was getting late. The sun started to come out on the hike and was out for most of the hike back. Great!

There is a log crossing of the stream which is a little scary, but I made it.

No comments: