Sunday, August 10, 2008

Bassi Creek by Red Peak Trail

My original plan was to head back to Schneider camp and try for the lake again, but as I drove up 50, I just couldn't get excited about the longer drive and the elevation. I decided to go up Icehouse road to Cheese Camp road and then hike to Bassi creek.

At the end of the paved part of Cheese Camp, at the locked gate, there are 3 options for getting to Bassi creek. I ducked under the gate and hiked up the road. This is an easy hike with a gentle grade up. Even this late in the season there were pools of water in Tells Creek.

There was no one at the horse camp, and I only encountered two fisherman coming down as I was going up. A little over two miles is the junction with the Red Peak trail and Bassi creek is right there. I took my boots and socks off and soaked in the creek while Commando ran all over like the lunatic he is. He chased a few sticks that I threw, but he was more interested in running full tilt through the water and wading around.

I put the socks and boots back on and we continued up the trail to where it officially crosses the creek. Just before the crossing is a gorgeous meadow, just turned golden for summer.

We turned back at the crossing and headed back.

The Crystal Basin area is truly magical!

No comments: