Saturday, August 08, 2009

Saw a dead skunk with skeleton-y goodness!

I just cannot get moving in the mornings so it was very late (4 pm) when we hit the trail at Fuller Lake to Spaulding Lake. All of the water in the streams is gone until you get to the stream that parallels the second big water conduit.

I decided to take the bridge over a water-filled stream that leads to Spaulding Powerhouse 3. The trail is fairly level and parallels the shoreline, albeit a good 100 feet below. The water is low.

There was a dead, mostly eaten skunk on the trail. It was partly dessicated (doesn't take much in the dry heat) and the skull was intact (with fur) and the tail bone (with fur) was also laid out neatly. There was some blobby, leathery looking innard that the predator also hadn't eaten. I almost wanted to take the skull because it would look sort of interesting (once the fur and gory bits had been boiled off) but I decided not to. The smell was faint. Poor skunk.

We made it over the first dam and rested along the shore. Well, I rested and Commando chased sticks, dug up good smelling stuff in the duff, and looked for critters.

I had been hoping that there was a link between this trail and the trail that follows the Yuba River so I could make a loop but if such a link exists, I didn't find it.

It was a nice hike with beautiful weather although the mosquitoes are incredibly fierce.

No comments: