Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Not much of a walk

Although I'd planned to go to the snow several times over Turkey Day weekend I ended up not going at all. The best walk we had was on Tuesday at Cache Creek Regional Park near Rumsey. It's interesting terrain...dry...rocks and rock layers upended and twisted in many directions from the active fault lines...plenty of evidence of seasonal bad flooding in spite of the dryness. In the summer it will be hot and dusty. On this almost winter day it was cool. I saw no one the entire day. We hiked up the main dirt road. It's blocked at highway 16 due to a dicey bridge crossing or two. There's a cool stone barn that someone has spent a bit of time sprucing up. It has new doors and it looks like someone has mended the metal roof. The stone is volcanic rock and must have taken some hardy pioneer a bit of effort to put together. It is a nice bit of engineering and rock work though as it seems to be ready to stand straight and level with nice square corners for at least another hundred years. Took a picture of this weird plant. I have no idea what it is and I've never seen anything like it. It was fist sized, a small fist. That's two weird plants I've discovered. I've got to find a botanist so I can identify these.

No comments: