Sunday, December 12, 2010

Washer and dryer now fixed

Finally got the dryer hose back on. It turned out to be easier than I thought. I did end up with a spare part, but I don't think it's important. After running through two folks at Home Depot that didn't know anything, I was finally turned over to a guy who did know about dryer hoses and he assured me that it was trivially simple and there was no need to obsess about it. Basically, it's just make sure that not much air and moisture leak out so duct tape and ducts and those circular clamp things are really all you need. I also bought a cool circular clamp with a big plastic turn key on it so I didn't have to find the right screw driver and seat it in the tiny hole and then lose all leverage as the screw gets tighter. Whoever invented this is a genius.

I would give this chore about 1/2 a screw driver for difficulty. Getting to the back of the equipment is mildly irritating and unscrewing and screwing the hoses was mildly irritating and there's the potential to cut yourself on the metal duct.

For those who might be cackling at my inability to fix a simple hose, keep in mind that I didn't own a dryer until I was in my mid-40's and there's no inborn genetic knowledge, that I'm pretty clumsy, and that I can't see things close up (like tiny screws) without my reading glasses. Okay, laugh away, I'll admit I'm lame.

No comments: