Monday, January 17, 2011

Sun, sun, sun, and snow

I've been sick with a minor cold for a few days and finally felt better today. Commando and I drove up to Yuba Gap to see if we could get out of the horrible gray fog. Entering Auburn the fog started to lift and it was sunny when we passed the Bowman road exit and stayed sunny for the rest of the day.

Someone had plowed out a bit of the old entrance at what used to be the Sun Mountain ski area and I parked next to the no trespassing sign. Some folks were parked up the road with snowmobiles and they had already blazed a few trails for us. Very thoughtful of them.

After strapping on the snowshoes we hiked up to the top of the hill directly in front of us and then down into a saddle between three hills and then back down a ravine to the car. It was lovely weather, almost too hot. The snow was just starting to look like it might be thinking about getting slushy in the heat but maybe it would stay cold. There were a few spots to sink in, but not too bad. There was plenty of friction on the hills.

I could see the dreary, dreary fog down in the Valley. It was obvious that there would be no break for the lowlanders. I kept my sleeves rolled up for most of the trip to catch some badly needed vitamin D. It would be nice to have just a bit of a burn but I don't think I was out long enough.

No comments: