Monday, February 07, 2011

Snowflower lake snowshoe

Enjoying my vacation although I confess it's been hard to mentally unwind! Tried and failed to get to the lake. My planned route took me up and over some hills for the now defunct Sun Valley ski area. It's a nice and easy route with good views from the top. The snow was firm. I headed across the planned ridge with good snow and then the ridge dropped into forest. I knew where the lake was but couldn't see it. I didn't want to meander around in the forest looking for it. As I dropped down a bit I saw someone else's tracks and followed them down. Took a bit out of the knees to get down one sharp bit but it was relatively easy.

We kept dropping down and eventually got into the forest anyway. I was wanting to hit some power lines that most likely headed right to the lake. Got to the power lines and inexplicably, the snowshoe tracks I'd been following didn't go to the lake. Instead, they headed across a stream into the forest on the other side.

We followed the power poles in the direction of the car. I'm glad I turned back when I did because this section was very hard. The snow was mushy and blazing the trail was almost like real work. Even Commando didn't like it. We encountered another stream but there was a bridge. Strangely, the other tracks came out of the woods just to cross this bridge.

We kept slogging along and finally reached the marshy area just before the car. We followed snowmobile tracks (nice and firm) and then wandered around the nicely frozen snow of the marshy area (even firmer and faster) and made it back to the road.

I was glad to get the snowshoes off and get back to the car! Next time, I'll try the power pole route first.

No comments: