Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sun Rock Trail to Tells Creek

I've been trying to find this trail for awhile and today found part of it. It supposedly starts about 2.7 miles in from Icehouse on Cheese Camp road. I think logging and forest clean up has obliterated that part of the trail because there is no trail head at Cheese Camp. There is a forest service road at approximately 2.6 miles that leads to the base of Sun Rock. Head uphill across the huge downed tree trunk (stripped of bark) and follow the heavily eroded dry creek up. Thankfully someone had hiked up here before so I saw an occasional boot print and some cairns. At about 1/2 mile the dry creek joins the trail. It's not too hard to find as it's eroded about 6 inches below the surface although it doesn't seem heavily traveled. There were lots of downed trees and branches on the trail. I lost the trail just as it heads down after a long flat stretch (good luck) but managed to find it again. Then I lost it again at a small creek crossing (go up the creek) but managed to find it again. There were snow berms obscuring the trail near Tells Creek and the trail is wet. With the extra snow melt I certainly wasn't crossing Tells although I suppose someone with ropes, strength, a change of clothes, the ability to withstand extremely cold water, and partners might be able to get across.

I sat on a convenient log and ate my sandwich while Commando dug holes. The start and end to the hike was so-so but the middle flat part goes through a redwood forest next to a green meadow and is gorgeous. I'll do this hike again and try and make it all  the way to Bassi Creek.

On the way home we took a side trip and found the Wright's Lake cutoff to be passable. Some vehicles (very high 4WD with winch) were making it to the lake. The road to 50 is still impassable.

No comments: