Sunday, June 25, 2006

Sick Cat

Well, my beloved, ancient cat is really on his last legs perhaps. I took him in for a regular checkup about a month ago and everything seemed fine except for his kidney disease. Almost immediately though, he started drooling when he napped and then began drooling even more. On Friday, it didn't look like he'd eaten anything all day so I took him into SAMG on Saturday.

The news isn't good. The vet found a mass, most likely cancer, on his tongue. It's possible that it's an ulcer from the kidney disease so the vet wasn't sure. They did a biopsy on Saturday and he's home here with some pain medication.

Well, he's clearly in pain now. He isn't eating much and I haven't seen him drink either. He's spends most of his time in his basket (unusual). It could be the pain of having the biopsy done, or it could be the cancer, or it could be the kidney disease.

Obviously, I just don't know. He just ate a tiny bit of food and went back to his hut. He normally welcomes petting but when I pet him, he doesn't seek out more so clearly he is in a lot of pain.

I really love this cat and will be very sorry to see him go. I'm so glad that I bought this house and that he welcomed me as his companion for these many years. I wish we could have many more years but it's not looking good now.

No comments: