Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Mini-vacation activity

Kayaked for the first time at the Willow Creek area of Lake Natoma. It is really very nice there. The cattle egrets have set up a nesting area just west of the launch area on some bluffs overlooking the lake. They always look so silly up in the trees...these big, white birds...looking "too big to be allowed" and perching precariously on branches bending under them. This is a successful survival strategy?

Next day drove to Clear Lake (and did a little hiking) to explore the area from a property standpoint. I mistakenly ran out of gas (duh!) and was very, very lucky in making it back to civilization and highway 20 before the car actually choked and died. Although there was no cell phone signal, there was a call box about 2/10's of a mile (1/5? ha ha) down the road. Thank you to my tax dollars.

Next day I stood up Andy and went hiking near Lola Montez lake after a long, arduous drive up the dirt road. The road has decayed since the last time and I'm not sure I'll be able to traverse it later. Snow runoff has created several deep cuts in the roadway. I was finally stopped by a snow bank at about 7200 feet. It's a beautiful area though and I'll have to explore it more often. On the way back I explored the area off Highway 20 near Bear Valley. Bowman Lake looks like it might be a great place to camp.

On Tuesday I washed clothes, dishes, and the cat. He tolerated being washed better than I thought and next time he'll get a more thorough cleaning! Also went to Malene's for the 4th and had a good time.

Now, it's back to work and I'd better get my ass in gear.

No comments: