Sunday, October 21, 2007

Loch Leven Lakes

We drove up 80 and exited at Yuba Pass. We took a right and then a left along Lake Valley Reservoir. The road isn't paved but it's not a bad road. Continue up and then there's a left to take at a sign to Huysink Lake. Just past the tiny lake is the marked trailhead to Salmon Lake.

I really don't know why this isn't the popular trail to the Loch Leven lakes. The road is relatively easy to drive...I took my Jetta up here on an earlier trip. The trail is only 2 miles to Lower LL, and, it's relatively level with just some mild, short ups and downs.

We made short work of this section of trail and stopped on some rocks at Lower LL for a snack. I was tempted to visit the other lakes, but I'd made such a late start that I didn't want to risk it. Although the remaining 3 miles was downhill, I hadn't gone that way before and if I missed the trail I might end of spending time getting back on it.

The main trail, the popular, heavily used trail was not very nice. It's well marked until the train tracks, but it's very rocky so you have to watch your step. After the train tracks the trail isn't particularly well marked. Also, I personally would have followed the creek down to the road. There are certainly many granite slabs to scramble over, but not many spectacular views because of the trees. The Salmon Lakes section has a lot of great views.

I don't mean to say this is a bad hike...I would just recommend coming in from the other direction!

No comments: