Tuesday, October 09, 2007

SPCA-Bad Day-Good Day

SPCA Saturday took Ruby, a brindle pit mix to a Lutheran church fair. She is a lovely dog and really enjoyed the day. She accepted belly rubs and sniffed everything and enjoyed treats from the kids. If she hasn't been adopted by the weekend I think I'll showcase her for an hour or two at the shelter on Saturday.

Bad Day I was in a bad mood of Sunday and couldn't really get around to anything. I forced myself to head for the mountains with the hound. I was bored with highway 80 and 50 so I decided to see if I could make it to 4. I ended up driving around somewhat aimlessly, taking first one road and then another. I ended up on 88 (also bored) and took a turn to Salt Springs reservoir. It's 12 miles from 88 along a good dirt road. It finally ends up along the Mokelumne River. The reservoir itself isn't much to see although it looked like the trail along the northern edge (Blue Hole) might be fun on another day when I have time to do 8 miles. Commando did some rodent chasing but didn't get too much exercise. We also stopped along the river and he did a little more chasing and sniffing there.

Good Day On Sunday I was feeling a little more cheerful so we drove up 88 to see if the aspens in Hope Valley were in full fall color. They were nice, but not quite ready for prime time yet.

At the intersection with 89 we drove up Burnside Lake road to...wait for it...Burnside Lake. This is a beautiful, beautiful lake at about 8100 feet elevation. Commando and I hiked around a beautiful meadow at the upper end of the lake and then hiked around the lake. It was a pleasure to stroll along without having to climb or drop.

We had passed some people on horseback on the way up and I spied them across the lake on my way around. One of the horses decided to kick up a little and there was a bit of a rodeo catching it and getting back on and headed out. They were long gone by the time I got back to the dirt road, but I could see the extra scuffed up marks as the pinto was apparently still kicking and prancing.

I took off my boots and waded into the water while Commando played in the water and thought about chasing some mergansers. There was a chewed up old tennis ball in the water and I tossed that for him as well. The view was beautiful, sunny, cool breeze but hot in the sun (but not too hot). I could have stayed longer.

On way back headed over Luther Pass to South Lake Tahoe and drove through the Angora fire damaged area. It wasn't as bad a fire as it seemed, the earth wasn't particularly scorched and I figure if there are still pine needles, it wasn't that hot. Quite a few homes were destroyed though and there was a lot of construction. I might feel badly if my home didn't burn because everyone else will have a beautiful new home and mine will still be that tiny little 2/1 cabin built in the 40's.

Drove up the Angora Lakes road...wow. It passes along a NARROW ridge overlooking Fallen Leaf lake and the Angora fire area. It was a narrow ledge for hiking let along driving along it with oncoming traffic.

It's about a 1/2 mile to Lower Angora and that's as far as I went. I will have to go back and try for Upper Angora (about another 1/2 mile) but as soon as the snow gets too deep, no more hiking here.

No comments: