Sunday, February 03, 2008

Good Weather?

Drove again to Jenkinson Lake in Pollock Pines. It was sunny in the valley, raining by Placerville, and snowing so heavily in Pollock Pines that chain controls were on a mile east on 50. The roads were relatively slushy and looked good, but who am I to judge?

Got off the exit and followed the snow plow in a long chain of cars toward the lake. I was hoping to park at the little store, but they have figured out this plan and peppered their lot with "No Lake Parking" signs.

We parked in the slush at the entrance, which was relatively free of snow. For some stupid reason, I wore my heavy full cotton sweater. I also had to stop and take my right boot off. I'd worn the shoe insert and a pair of unfamiliar socks that I should through away. My foot was cramping badly. With the insert gone, it was fine.

The lake was pretty and there were quite a few people snowshoeing. That's one of the reasons I avoid this area, it's too crowded with people. The sun tried to peep through the clouds, then it darkened up again and started with fat, puffy and heavy flakes. I turned back. The day was nice enough, but I really didn't want to get my car stuck.

By the time I was committed to heading back, the snow stopped. I could hear the cars swishing along speedily on Sly Park road so apparently the snow plows had gained pavement. My sweater was heavier with water and if I'd had to stop it would have been cold.

Made it to the car and had no problem driving home.

No comments: