Sunday, March 30, 2008

Gerle Creek Reservoir

Drove up to Gerle Creek Reservoir for a snow shoe. The main road is snowed over, but SMUD plows a gated side road to the dam so we walked down that. I wasn't quite sure where I was so I left the snow shoes by the side of the road and walked to the top of the ridge to look around. The reservoir was right there, about 700 feet down a steep slope. I heard a car door and saw a security guard truck (uh oh) and noticed he was picking up my snow shoes. I yelled out and we chatted for a bit.

He thought the gear might have been left behind by some campers and I chose to believe the story. It's not private property (well, it's SMUD property) but there is public access. I was surprised that he carried a gun and everything...I only thought police could do that.

As it turns out, you can't walk around Gerle Creek Reservoir...the dam is closed off. I was able to scramble around the side of the pump house to get to the shore and here the snow was a good three feet deep. Good thing I carried the snow shoes down the hill with me!

It was a bit of a chore traversing the side of the reservoir. It was steep and obviously I didn't want to trip or fall into a snow pit of some kind. We worked our way along the reservoir until we came to a stream inflow. I headed away from the water and navigated eastward along what looked like an old, old, old logging road (more a suggestion of a road than an actual one) to a small saddle. It was either that or retrace my steps because the hill to my immediate right was way too steep for me!

Just at what looked like the top of the saddle, there was another road with some old snow shoe tracks buried under 6 inches of snow. We headed gradually uphill on this track and eventually came to the main road where I'd left my car.

The snow was slushy and not tamped down so it was a bit of a slog cutting the trail. The picture shows the snow depth. It's funny though, because on the sunny slopes, it's bare dirt.

Nice trip!

No comments: