Monday, April 07, 2008

Fork's House - Not

Drove up the Foresthill road with no particular plan other than to go as far as the snow would let me. The road was snowed in and blocked with the gate at China Wall OHV. I decided to explore the Fork's House Nature trail. Although there was lots of snow, there was also plenty of bare dirt and I decided not to break out the snow shoes. When I got to the trail, it was snowed over and the path was not obvious. There was also someone shooting in that direction and I try to assume that they are dumb asses and not paying careful attention to where their bullets end up. Most of the shooters I've encountered have been courteous and safe, but it only takes one bullet to make my day very bad.

I think the trail is at Mitchell Mine road, but the map I have access to in not clear. The shape is right but the elevation looks funny. The road was clear of snow until I had committed myself and then it was all snow, sometimes up to three feet deep. Fortunately the snow mobile crowd (or someone) had been packing the snow down so it was relatively easy going with only a few instances of break through. We dropped down to what looks like a year round creek that was bursting with snow melt. Then we started climbing up a steady grade. We reached the heavy equipment that was responsible for packing the snow and continued on for a bit before returning to sit on the bench at that back of the snow vehicle to enjoy a light snack and some Vitamin water. This is a relatively pretty trail and will be nicer a bit later in the spring when the snow is more melted. It doesn't look there are any spectacular views though.

No comments: