Sunday, June 07, 2009

Calaveras Big Trees Camping Day Three

We all slept in although I was awake at dawn. It had rained during the night and the meadow was steaming until the sun dried it out. We broke camp and went our separate ways...Tami and Donna to Jackson Rancheria and home and Commando and I for a big hike and then home.

I had planned to go to the summit and hike there but we turned aside at Spicer Reservoir and then took a side road to Summit and Elephant Rock lake. We parked at Elephant Rock lake and hiked to Elephant Rock. It's a giant pile of volcanic rock sticking out (like a sore thumb?) amongst the more usual granite. From looking at the map I'd wondered if it were possible to get to the top. If it is, it certainly doesn't look easy.

We ended up doing a loop trail back to Summit Lake and then back to where the car was parked. It's a nice easy trail...not too heavily used and with no significant ups or downs. There were some creek crossings but my feet only got a little wet. Most of the trail is marked for mountain bikes but I didn't see any evidence. Trails leading off went to Duck Lake and Highland Lakes both in the Carson Iceberg wilderness and way too far for me to go!

There had been a few cars along the way on our way to the trailhead but they were all gone on the way back. We stopped briefly at Spicer and gazed at the trail at the bottom of the dam. It's a cool looking lake and maybe we'll have to camp here sometime and explore some of the other trails.

Commando had a good trip and when we got home he looked at me like he expected me to carry him into the house. Hmmph!

No comments: