Sunday, June 07, 2009

Calaveras Big Trees Camping Day One

Drove up around 11ish after running some errands. I bought a cheap screen house so we'd have some shelter for the expected rain and a somewhat expensive soft sided cooler on wheels so I could take up less space. The drive was uneventful and I selected space 21, which, I highly recommend. It's on the meadow one space away from the very nice restrooms and there's lots of space in the site.

It was a challenge setting up the rain tent with just one person but I used my giant brain and was able to prop two of the legs between the seat and the table top of the picnic table to hold them in place while I got the other legs assembled and positioned.

I took Commando for a drive and then a short hike on some unidentified forest service road just past Dorrington while Donna and Tami set up their gear.

It did rain the first night and I was glad to have the shelter. It was also a handy place to stored our chairs and wood when we were away.

The first night we feasted on sausage. I couldn't find the mustard I'd bought though. Damn.

Sleeping in the Escape was a bit of a challenge. My knee is still quite bruised from the fall I took at work so kneeling wasn't really an option. I also forgot to close my thermarest so the air leaked out and it was hard to get comfortable.

Also, Commando and I breathe out lots of moisture so the windows were fogged up in the morning. Still, it was nice to not have to crawl into a tent and sleep above the ground.

No comments: