Sunday, October 17, 2010

Grouse Lake Success

On my second try I made it to Grouse Lake. The first time I just wasn't feeling very good and even the easy, flat trail sections were hard. This time, although the steep climb was hard, we charged right up. Once the trail splits from the Twin Lakes trail there is a short, somewhat steep granite section. Then, there's a right turn up and there's a steeper forest section. Next, it levels off a bit, but still angling up and somewhat southeast. Just before the last bit, we ran into some hikers on the way down. The man said the lake was just at the base of the leftmost rounded "peak" as I faced the steep forest/granite wall ahead. The trail switches back to the left (northish?) and angles up the wall. This section is the steepest and reminded me of the trail to Loch Leven lakes or even Mt. Judah. There weren't many switchbacks though because there isn't really room for them.

We started to cross the stream that exits the lake but I couldn't see the trail on the other side. As it turns out, that's the trail. Instead we took some marked cairn "trails" up and did eventually reach the lake. We found a likely spot. Commando gobbled his trail meal down. I had my banana and some vitamin water placebo. I soaked my feet in the lake. Wow. It was cold. It was so cold my feet turned red and my toes started to ache with cold. The socks and boots went back on.

As we headed back we ran into a backpacker and his dog coming up over the granite ridge instead of from the trail. The backpacker asked what lake this was, and then asked how to get to Twin Lakes. Hmmm. I told him the general vicinity to head cross-country and said he could also backtrack on the trail. I hope he makes it.

I then stupidly decided to try and make it back cross-country. We angled along the ridge generally heading down, west, and south trying to find the path of least resistance. My theory was that there was a long, gradual ridge that led back to Wright's Lake. I don't think my theory was correct. If it was correct, I never found the ridge.

We headed down dry stream beds interspersed with granite slabs or large granite blocks. As we got lower, we got caught in a section of large granite blocks (some the size of houses) and dense manzanita. We had to climb rocks and push through dense flora. At one point I looked down and realized that the manzanita was hiding a 3-4 foot drop next to the boulder I was trying to go around. Commando had difficulty too. He can't see over the manzanita and he's not so agile over the big rocks. He needs some type of flat surface for his paws to grip.

At one point I realized that, although we'd been hiking for a while and were still descending, we weren't on the trail yet and the sun was starting to set. We headed straight down to get to the trail fastest. At first, we were helped by some deer trails. There were also fewer rocks. Then, it was back to thick manzanita. We just pushed through as carefully and as quickly as possible. At last we reached some flat space and soon discovered the trail, just inside the Desolation Wilderness boundary. I'm really not sure my "short cut" had saved us any distance.

The sun set before we got back, but we were almost to the flat section of the trail when it set. There was plenty of residual light to see. The moon was up and a little over half full so it's reflected light was enough to cast a faint shadow.

Both of us were exhausted when we got back to the car after about 7 hours of hiking. Commando is still sleeping on the bed, a sure sign that he's one tired doggy.

It was a great hike though!

No comments: