Sunday, October 05, 2008

Cascade Lakes to Long Lake

Drove to Soda Springs, then took Pahatsi road until it turns to dirt and continued following it till it ends at Cascade lakes. These were pretty unimpressive although the glacier erratics boulder field we passed through to get to the lakes was interesting.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and was pleased to see a trailhead sign, "Palisades Creek Trail." The mileages were a bit much for me. About 1/2 mile down, the trail forked and I took the non-trail fork and ended up at Long Lake. This is a very pretty lake, and natural too. We hiked along an easy path on the east side of the lake and took a trip down into a watershed declivity that is probably more like a waterfall in the spring.

Then we crossed the lake and went trail less back to the trail head. This was a little more difficult than it sounds because there wasn't a shore, more of a series of boulder cliffs to scale interspersed with willow and manzanita thickets. I came home with plenty of pine needles in my hair!

This is a pretty, pretty area and I think I'll try the Palisades Creek trail for a bit longer.

No comments: