Monday, November 03, 2008

Lyon's Creek Trail

Although the weather was frightful with rain (and snow above 6K) I still wanted to hike. Commando and I got into the deathtrap and headed up to Wright's Lake via Ice House and the Wright's Lake tie road.

I was an uneventful drive although the huge rain in Placerville didn't fill me with confidence.

There was about an inch of slushy snow just below the big meadow at the junction of the tie road and Wright's lake road and it continued to snow/rain steadily. Snow had accumulated on the road to the lake with many tracks of previous vehicles. I had passed a few hunters on this last day of deer season so was glad that I'd remembered to bring Commando's bright yellow slicker.

At Wright's lake the gate was open. I had planned to hike around the lake, but when I saw the snow on the road, and that it was continuing to snow, I chickened out and decided to head a bit lower to hike. Although the deathtrap had handled well enough so far, I really don't have a lot of confidence in it and I really don't want to become a statistic.

We stopped at the Lyon's Creek trailhead. I hadn't hiked here in the past because the parking area has always been crowded. Today, there was a truck towing a small boat and that was it. As I parked, a couple (with two charming dogs) pulled in to hike. Our dogs got acquainted and ran around like loons while we geared up.

They hiked on ahead as I made my slower way along. For some reason my cell phone wasn't working, although it should have plenty of power, and I wasn't sure how long I would be out. The terrain was pretty, with about an inch of very wet snow. The temperature couldn't quite decide whether to be freezing or not, so there was a mix of snow, light rain, and even some sleet at one point. There was about an inch of snow on everything.

As far as I went along the trail (which wasn't far, maybe a mile) the trail was easy. Relatively level with only a few rocks. It's mainly a typical alpine forest on granite. There are a few views of the creek from just off the trail.

I will have to try this trail in better weather, and even perhaps stay overnight at one of the lakes. Next year!

No comments: